Pub Landlord gets Electric Shock from Fridge

On 12 April 2011 Ben Plunkett quite literally got the shock of his life when he touched a faulty fridge in his pub.  Faulty electrics led to him getting an electric shock so severe his heart stopped beating.  The 29 year old manager of The Bishop’s Blaize pub in Stretford was only saved when a passing police officer, PC Clare Robinson, gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and chest compressions. Mr Plunkett, a father of two, spent 2 days in hospital recovering.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

What happens if I am injured by an electric shock?

Injuries of this type are all too common.  An injury which forces you to take 2 days off work could mean losing 2 days of wages.  If you are self-employed you may lose important contracts, leaving you even more out-of-pocket.

There may be other, more expensive and more heartbreaking expenses incurred.  For example, an electric shock could lead to minor or serious injury, and result in loss of function in the fingers, hands or other limbs.  It may seriously affect the quality of your life, and leave you in pain.

Can I claim compensation for an electric shock?

If you are injured as a result of a defective product or service, you may have a claim for compensation.  It is important to assess who is actually at fault. If the electric shock is caused by faulty electrical wiring installed by a substandard electrician, then the electrician has been negligent and is liable to pay you compensation for your injuries.

If you are injured as a result of a faulty appliance, such as an oven or fridge, you may have a claim against the manufacturer.

Both the manufacturer and the electrician should have insurance to pay for injuries caused by their negligence.  However, you will first need to make a claim against them, and prove the injury is their fault.

What should I do if I, or someone I love, has had an electric shock?


  • You will need to assess who was at fault.  You should have the faulty appliance or wiring checked by an independent assessor who will make a detailed report on what is wrong.
  • You will need to assess the extent of your injuries.  This includes calculating the financial, emotional and physical loss.  An injury will attract a basic amount of damages.  You will also be able to claim for your expenses, including travel costs to and from hospital, medical fees, and loss of earnings.  For this reason you should keep all receipts.
  • If an injury is permanent you will need to assess what effect the injury is likely to have on the rest of your life, in particular what the ultimate financial effect will be.

This process can be complicated, but if you call us at Manners Pimblett we can take the stress out of making a personal injury claim.  We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters, call one of our experts today for more information. 0845 0770772.

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010