Ten people hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning

Ten people were rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning from a petrol generator being left to run in a shop.

A 55-year-old was held for questioning and later bailed after the deadly fumes spread from computer sales and repair store Sana Tech in Ashton-under-Lyne yesterday.

A number of neighbouring businesses in Market Street were evacuated after tests found high levels of the poisonous gas in their premises.

Rita Taylor, 76, and her colleague Simon Phillips, 27, who work a few doors down at Cathedral Jewellers, were among those taken to hospital.

They had no idea they were inhaling the colourless, odourless gas until they were ordered to leave the shop.

Rita said: “I was feeling very sickly and very tired.

“I was falling asleep in the shop and I had to take quite a few paracetamol. It’s very scary.”

It is understood Sana Tech had been closed for around a week while the owner was away in Iraq but the premises were still occupied.

Health and safety officers from Tameside Council are also investigating the incident alongside Greater Manchester Police.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said a hazardous materials officer had gone to assess the scene before calling for a back-up crew from Stalybridge.

A spokeswoman said: “They ventilated the affected units and advised the occupants to keep the windows and doors open.

“We stayed around to monitor the levels until it became safe.”

A spokeswoman said nobody had been seriously harmed.

Claims if you have been injured as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning

If you have been left to suffer following carbon monoxide poisoning and you believe it was a result of someone else’s negligence, then you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas but if inhaled it could potentially kill you if not dealt with quickly. Incidents such as this should not be taken lightly and if you have been made to suffer then making a claim for compensation could be your best option for getting you back on your feet. In this instance, the claim would be taken out against the individual who was responsible for the gas leak.

Can Manners Pimblett help me with my claim?

When it comes to making a claim for compensation as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning it can be a very painful and traumatic experience, which is why it may be in your best interests to seek out the help of legal professionals. Here at Manners Pimblett we have a team of highly experienced advisors who can work with you throughout the course of the case to ensure that the compensation you deserve .

If you  would like to speak with one of our advisors, then simply contact us today on 0845 077 0772 and let us help you.

 

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010