Accidents on Another Person’s Property

If you are on another person’s property and you suffer an accident leading to personal injury, then the person who owns the property may be liable to pay you financial compensation.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

All owners of property are liable under the Occupiers Liability Acts 1957 and 1984 to keep people reasonably safe from accidents. The 1957 Act relates to people who have been lawfully invited on to another person’s property and who suffer an accident. The 1984 Act relates to trespassers on another person’s property and who suffer an accident.  If you have suffered an accident on another person’s property and it was not your fault then you may be able to claim compensation. Contact us at Manners Pimblett and we will assess if you have a claim.
Examples of another person’s property:

  • House, garden, path;
  • Driveway;
  • Boats;
  • Motor homes;
  • Farm land;
  • Private roads.

This list is non exhaustive. The list of private property covered by the Acts is very extensive. If you or your child has suffered an accident on another person’s property then contact us at Manners Pimblett to see if you have a claim.

Is a person always liable for accidents on their property?

The “Occupier” of the 1957 Act means “Wherever a person has a sufficient degree of control over premises that he ought to realise that any failure on his part to use care may result in injury to a person lawfully there...”

An example of a claim under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1957 is as follows:

Person A is invited to a party at Person B’s house. Person B’s property has a number of steps leading to the front door. The light outside the property is broken. When leaving Person A slips down the stairs and breaks her ankle.

It is reasonable to say that Person B had sufficient degree of control over this light that his failure to ensure that the steps were sufficiently lit caused Person A’s injury. As Person A was invited to the party she was lawfully there.

Any accident leading to personal injury on another person’s property may be deserving of financial compensation. Remember that even if you or your child were not invited onto a property and an accident occurs, there may still be a claim. Contact us at Manners Pimblett for FREE and with NO OBLIGATION. We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters, call one of our experts today for more information. 0845 0770772. 

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010