Claiming Compensation for Food Poisoning on Holiday

The summer getaway is exactly what it says.  We save up all year, look forward to it and hope we come back refreshed and relaxed.  We want our holiday to be perfect and don’t want anything to spoil it.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

However, many people have their holiday ruined by something as small as bugs like E-Coli or Salmonella.  Food poisoning on holiday affects more than 2 million UK tourists while they are overseas.  All it takes is undercooked food, unclean water, or food past its use-by date to create breeding grounds for bacteria.

Incidents of food poisoning can take place anywhere, but the most common outbreaks are suffered on cruise ships or on package holidays.  Tour operators have a duty of care towards customers to ensure the hotels and restaurants where they send you are clean and have attained certain standards of hygiene.  If they don’t do this they may be liable for any incidents of food poisoning.

Can I get financial compensation when I stayed in a hotel and not on a package holiday?

If the food poisoning was suffered at a hotel then you may have a claim against the hotel owners.  The owners must ensure food is kept and prepared safely and hygienically.  If the owners have caused food poisoning then they have been negligent in that duty.

If your holiday has been spoilt by vomiting, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps or other symptoms of food poisoning then you need not suffer in silence.  Your holiday may have been spoilt but if it was not your fault you should be entitled to be reimbursed for any losses.

What should I do if I suffer food poisoning whilst on holiday?

  • Seek medical attention immediately.  Not only will they help you get better but they will provide you with evidence of your illness.
  • Speak to others in the hotel to see if anyone else has suffered food poisoning from the same food or from the same restaurant.  If they have, take their contact details so you can contact them later.
  • Report the incident to your tour operator, travel agent or Holiday Company.
  • Take photographic evidence of any unhygienic premises or kitchens where food is prepared.

How much financial compensation am I entitled to?

This all depends on what loss you have suffered, how much your holiday cost you and whether you can prove the food or water was to blame.  Your illness may have lasted for weeks after your holiday, resulting in you having to take time off work and therefore lose substantial earnings.

Our specialist advisors at Manners Pimblett offer you a FREE consultation where they can assess your claim.  We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters, call one of our experts today for more information. 0845 0770772. 

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010