Claiming Compensation for Your Child

It is fair to say that it is every parent’s utmost concern to keep their child safe from harm. Yet it is an unfortunate fact of life that accidents happen and a parent’s worst fears may be realised. Parents or guardians may not realise however that if a third party’s lack of care results in their child’s personal injury, a claim may be made for financial compensation. We at Manners Pimblett are experts in claiming for compensation on behalf of children. We understand the complexities that are involved, and are here to help guide you step by step through the process.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

When can I claim compensation for my child?

You may be able to claim for compensation if your child has:

  • Suffered a personal injury, and,
  • It was caused by the negligent or deliberate actions of a third party.

When persons over the age of 18 bring a personal injury claim, it is normally the case that the claim must be brought within three years of the incident which caused the personal injury. However, when a claim is brought for compensation for a child, the three years do not begin to run until the child reaches the age of 18.

It is advised however, that the sooner the claim is brought the better, as evidence and memories may be stronger the closer a claim is brought after the accident which caused the personal injury.

We at Manners Pimblett understand that there is so much for a parent to worry about when their child has come to harm. We just want you to be aware that a claim can be brought at any time before your child turns 18. If you call us on our free number, or complete our online claim form, our understanding and professional claims advisors will be able to assess whether you can bring a claim for compensation for your child. We understand that the financial compensation can help with the difficult financial and personal burdens that can come through a child’s personal injury. It is our aim to help you achieve the maximum amount of compensation for your child’s claim.

How exactly does it work when claiming compensation for my child?

As a minor, your child will not be able to bring a legal claim for compensation in his or her own right. A responsible person, usually the parent or guardian, will be appointed as a Litigation Friend. This person is responsible for:

  • Making decisions on the child’s behalf, and
  • Protecting the child’s best interests.

If my child is awarded compensation, what will happen to the money?

It is the court’s concern that any financial compensation goes towards the child’s best interests. It may be invested for the child to claim when he or she turns 18. It may go towards any expenses incurred already as a result of the child’s personal injury. How the compensation is managed depends largely upon the individual circumstances of the case and the amount of financial compensation awarded. If you call us now on 0845 077 0772, or complete our online form, we will take details of your claim and assess the compensation your child may be entitled to with no obligation. We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters, call one of our experts today for more information.

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010