Claiming Financial Compensation for a Faulty Sunbed

Sunbeds have been recognised for many years as being dangerous. More people than ever are using them, and more people than ever are developing melanoma and other skin cancers.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

Every year in the UK over 3 million people use sunbeds and many of them know the risks inherent in using them.  If you have an injury as a result of using a sunbed and it was not your fault then you may be entitled to a significant amount of compensation.

How do I know if I am entitled to financial compensation for using a sunbed?

The gym, hotel or tanning salon which owns the sunbed has a duty of care to all its customers.  The government has recognised the dangers involved with sunbeds and introduced legislation to protect customers.  This includes banning people under 16 from using sunbeds.

Can I claim financial compensation if the sunbed is my own or rented?

Yes! When you buy any product you are protected by the Sale of Goods Act and by the Consumer Protection Act.  Furthermore, if the sunbed is faulty then you may be able to claim against the rental company or the manufacturer for negligence.  In 2010 a woman in Staffordshire suffered 65% burns from a faulty sunbed and recovered substantial damages from the court.  The person who rented her the sunbed also received a prison sentence.

Is the sunbed accident my fault?

It is unlikely that you are to blame for any injury sustained on a sunbed.  Government legislation requires tanning salons to be very careful when supplying sunbeds for use.  If you were given bad advice by staff in a salon, were not given advice at all or there were no visible instructions on how to use the sunbed, then any injury sustained is the fault of the tanning salon and you may have a claim for compensation.

Furthermore, if a faulty sunbed was used or the level of UV light was too high then you may have a claim.  It is a shocking statistic that 83% of sunbeds were found to exceed EU safety limits on UV radiation exposure.

How do I make a claim for compensation following a sunbed injury?

Firstly, you should seek immediate medical attention.  A doctor will be able to treat you for any short term injuries (such as burns) and can assess you for any long term injuries, such as melanoma and skin cancer.  A doctor’s report will also help the court gauge how much compensation you are entitled to.

Secondly, call us at Manners Pimblett.  The initial consultation is provided free of charge and our personal injury solicitors will be able to advise you on whether you can make a claim. We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters, call one of our experts today for more information. 0845 0770772. Remember that you are claiming for compensation you deserve.

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010