Compensation Against Drunk Drivers

Driving can be an almost necessary part of our lives and at some point we will usually get behind the wheel of a car which enables us to reach our destination quickly and efficiently. Roads throughout the UK are governed very tightly and when you undertake your driving license there is a large number or rules and regulations that you must abide by. 

Reveal the remainder of this article »

Drink driving above a certain level is illegal in the UK as it poses not only a risk to the driver, but to other innocent road users who may be caught up in an accident. Drink driving is not only irresponsible but it can also endanger lives, especially if you are travelling at a high speed. If you are involved in an accident where you have been hit by a drunk driver, then you could be eligible to make a claim against them for any expenses that you have incurred. 

Drink driving and the law

When it comes to driving legally within the UK you are not allowed to have a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) above 80g per every 100ml of blood. This is usually measured through a breath test, or a blood test if necessary. Drink driving is punished heavily in the UK mainly due to its dangerous nature and many drivers can find a loss of license, hefty fine or even jail sentence among the punishments which can be doled out.

What should I do if I’m involved in an incident?

If you are involved in a drink driving incident where you have been hit by a negligent road user then you may need to involve the police to ascertain whether the other driver has consumed alcohol. It’s important to report the offense straight away and wait for the police to arrive. If the other driver is deemed to be over the legal limit then this can help you claim cause as you can prove that they have been negligent towards you. 

What injuries can I sustain?

You can sustain a number of injuries similar to what you would receive from a car accident, these include:

  • Head and neck injuries including whiplash
  • Cuts and grazes
  • Broken or sprained limbs
  • Death.

Who can I claim against?

If you have been hit by a negligent driver – in this case a drink driver – then you can make a claim against them for compensation. You must be able to prove that the accident was their fault and that they took no reasonable measures to try and avoid it. 

What should I do next?

If you have been injured at the hands of a negligent driver then you can make a claim to recouperate any monies that you may have lost in the process. This could include any medical expenses or loss of income that you incur during the time that you are injured. To find out more about the claims process or to speak to an expert, contact the Manners Pimblett team today on 0845 077 0772. 

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010