Teenager Injured by Hit-and-Run Driver

Teenager Sean Cullinane was on a pedestrian crossing near Timperley Cricket Ground when a driver went through an amber light and collided with him.  Cullinane, 18, hit the windscreen and was sent flying through the air, suffering heavy bruising.  Although the driver stopped to check he was alive, he then drove off again without leaving his details.  The police have so far been unable to trace the driver, which occurred on Stockport Road, Altringham on May 01.

Reveal the remainder of this article »

Can I claim compensation if I am injured by a hit-and-run driver?

The police should always be called, as the driver is committing a serious criminal act by injuring a person recklessly and not stopping at an accident.  Furthermore, a hit-and-run driver is more likely to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or be uninsured.

If you contact the police, even if the driver is untraceable you may be able to claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.  However, you will have to go to the civil court to claim adequate damages to compensate you for your injuries and expenses incurred.

What if the driver cannot be traced?

In these cases compensation can be claimed from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MiB).  This was set up by the government to compensate victims when the perpetrator of an accident is untraceable or uninsured.  The procedure for claiming from the MiB is more complicated than claiming from a traced driver because there are very strict deadlines for lodging a claim and for filing relevant documents.

How do I claim compensation for a hit-and-run accident?

As with any accident, if you are injured as a result of another person’s negligence then you may have a claim for compensation.  You will need to prove the third party is responsible for your injuries.  Further, you will need to quantify your injuries financially, which essentially means you need to put a price on what your injury has cost you, from the time of the accident to the unforeseen future.  To do this you will need to instruct a medico-legal expert, who will create a report and assess how much your injuries will affect you, and therefore cost you.

It is important to collect as much evidence of the hit-and-run as you can.  This will include getting witness statements from any bystanders, and taking photographs of the scene.  If you have called the police they will do this as well as writing up an accident report.  Their testimony may also come in very useful in legal proceedings.

The other party may try to attribute some blame to you, for example by claiming you were not looking where you going or not paying attention. If successful, the court may reduce the amount of damages payable.

Contact us at Manners Pimblett so our accident specialists can assist you confidently and expertly, using our in-depth legal knowledge and experience.  We offer NO WIN NO FEE* agreements on personal injury matters.  So call us today on 0845 077 0772. 

Contact us now...
Make a claim with our online accident claim form
Free claim calculator
accident claims
injury claims
Call us 24/7 on 0800 970 2907

Article archive

November 2015 August 2015 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 April 2013 February 2013 January 2013 November 2012 September 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 November 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 April 2010